Difference between revisions of "Acronyms, Abbreviations & Other Definitions"
Jump to navigation Jump to search
m (Acronyms moved to Acronyms, Abbreviations & Other Definitions: making title grammatically correct)
|Line 5:||Line 5:|
*ACI - Add Clinical Item
*ACI - Add Clinical Item
*ALC - [[Allscripts Learning Center]]
*ALC - [[Allscripts Learning Center]]
Revision as of 15:16, 27 January 2009
Brief definitions are listed below. If there is more detailed information available or needed about a particular item, then there will be a link either from the acronym or form the real term to a page with that information.
- AHIMA- American Health Information Management Association
- ACI - Add Clinical Item
- ADT - Admission, Discharge, Transfer
- AMA -American Medical Association
- CCD - Continuity of Care Document
- CDA - Clinical Document Architecture
- CCR - Continuity of Care Record
- CED - Clinical Exchange Document
- CCI- Correct Coding Initiative
- CG CareGuides - A large set of templates created by Allscripts for Touchworks for common medical conditions including diseases, injuries and health maintenance.
- CIS - Clinical Information System, industry word. Generic term used to describe the software programs designed to capture manage and analyze health care data.
- CLR - Common Language Runtime. It is Microsoft's implementation of the Common Language Infrastructure (CLI) standard, which defines an execution environment for program code. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Language_Runtime
- CPOE - Computerized Physician Order Entry, industry term. The electronic entry by a physician of treatment instructions for patients under his or her care. These orders are communicated over a computer network to medical staff or departments responsible for fulfilling the order. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CPOE
- CMS - Centers for Medicare and Medicaid. Their home page http://www.cms.hhs.gov/ and more information http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centers_for_Medicare_and_Medicaid_Services
- CPT4 - Current Procedural Terminology, 4th Edition, medical term. A standardized set of codes established by the American Medical Association to identify medical procedures performed and for billing purposes.
- CDT - Clinical Desktop
- DEA - Drug Enforcement Agency
- DUR - Drug Utilization Review
- EHR – Electronic Health Record, industry term. A patient’s medical record in a digital format. Owned and controlled by the provider.
- EMAR - Electronic Medication Administration Record
- EMR – Electronic Medical Record, industry term. A patient’s medical record in a digital format.
- FTP – File Transfer Protocol, computer term. A network protocol for transferring files over the internet. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ftp
- GUI- Graphic User Interface
- HCPCS- Healthcare procedural coding system.
- HIPAA – Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, legal and medical term. Relates to the legal act of 1996.
- HIT- Health Information Technology-used to improve the efficiency and quality of health care that patients receive. System where medical professionals store information ususally contained in a patients chart on a computer, rather than on paper
- HMP – Health Management Plan, Allscripts Term – this is a component of the Clinical Desktop within Touchworks. It is a workspace for reviewing current orders, meds, order reminders, alerts and results for active problems
- HL7- Health Level Seven - a standard development organization that supports the development and maintenance of a health data exchange protocol.
- HTB – Horizontal Tool Bar the menu bar that appears horizontally across the screen.
- Hx - is used in medical shorthand to mean "history"
- ICD9 - International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems
- ISO- International Organization for Standarization
- KB – Allscripts Knowledge Base, Allscripts term – the knowledge base is an online resource created by Allscripts as a resource tool to support Touchworks users.
- LAN-Local Area Network
- LMRP - Local Medical Review Policy
- MAR - Medication Administration Record
- MSO - Managed Services Organization or Medical Services Organization
- NDC-National Drug Code
- Ncqa - National Committee for Quality Assurance
- OCD – Orderable Concept Dictionary, Allscripts term – This is a dictionary that comes with Touchworks that is a consistent dictionary of orders and results. This was created to deal with differences in medical terminology in different locations and with different vendors.
- OID – Orderable Item Dictionary, Allscripts term – This is the dictionary of things that can be ordered, received or recorded as results. These terms can vary from hospital to hospital, and are therefore mapped to items in the orderable concept dictionary for consistency.
- PACS – Picture Archiving and Communication System – used to exchange medical images over a network (X-rays, ultrasound etc.)
- PAT – Physician Administration tool
- PBM - Pharmacy Benefit Manager
- PCP- Primary Care Provider
- PHI-Personally Identifiable Health Information
- PHR –Personal Health Record –owned and controlled by the patient
- PM - Practice Management
- PMS - Practice Management System
- RID – Resultable Item Dictionary
- RIS - Radiology Information System
- RLS -Record Locator Service - An index that lets clinicians find out where the patient information they seek is stored so that they can request it directly from its source.
- RTI- Real Time Intervention
- ROI – Return on Investment
- RX+ – a module of Touchworks that allows clinical staff to manage their patients' medications, as well as provides tools for prescribing utilizing DUR checking and plan-specific formularies
- SIG – From the Latin “Signa”, meaning to write. This is a medical abbreviation used when writing prescriptions meant to mean “write the following instructions on the label”
- SSMT – Starter Set Migration Tool – this is a tool used to move items from test to live
- TW – Touchworks
- TWPM – Touchworks Practice Management
- VPN –Virtual Private Network
- VTB – Vertical Tool Bar – The tool Bar that runs up and down the screen, usually on the left hand side
- WAD - Working As Designed
- XML - Extensible Markup Language, a computer term.