Acronyms, Abbreviations & Other Definitions
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Brief definitions are listed below. If there is more detailed information available or needed about a particular item, then there will be a link either from the acronym or form the real term to a page with that information.
- CCR - Continuity of Care Record
- CG CareGuides - A large set of templates created by Allscripts for Touchworks for common medical conditions including diseases, injuries and health maintenance.
- CIS - Clinical Information System, industry word. Generic term used to describe the software programs designed to capture manage and analyze health care data.
- CPOE - Computerized Physician Order Entry, industry term. The electronic entry by a physician of treatment instructions for patients under his or her care. These orders are communicated over a computer network to medical staff or departments responsible for fulfilling the order. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CPOE
- CMS - Centers for Medicare and Medicaid. Their home page http://www.cms.hhs.gov/ and more information http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centers_for_Medicare_and_Medicaid_Services
- DUR - Drug Utilization Review
- EHR – Electronic Health Record, industry term. A patient’s medical record in a digital format. Owned and controlled by the provider.
- EMAR - Electronic Medication Administration Record
- EMR – Electronic Medical Record, industry term. A patient’s medical record in a digital format.
- FTP – File Transfer Protocol, computer term. A network protocol for transferring files over the internet. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ftp
- CPT4 - Current Procedural Terminology, 4th Edition, medical term. A standardized set of codes established by the American Medical Association to identify medical procedures performed and for billing purposes.
- HCPCS- Healthcare procedural coding system.
- HIPAA – Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, legal and medical term. Relates to the legal act of 1996.
- HMP – Health Management Plan, Allscripts Term – this is a component of the Clinical Desktop within Touchworks. It is a workspace for reviewing current orders, meds, order reminders, alerts and results for active problems
- HTB – Horizontal Tool Bar the menu bar that appears horizontally across the screen.
- ICD9 - International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems
- KB – Allscripts Knowledge Base, Allscripts term – the knowledge base is an online resource created by Allscripts as a resource tool to support Touchworks users.
- MAR - Medication Administration Record
- MSO - Managed Services Organization or Medical Services Organization
- OCD – Orderable Concept Dictionary, Allscripts term – This is a dictionary that comes with Touchworks that is a consistent dictionary of orders and results. This was created to deal with differences in medical terminology in different locations and with different vendors.
- OID – Orderable Item Dictionary, Allscripts term – This is the dictionary of things that can be ordered, received or recorded as results. These terms can vary from hospital to hospital, and are therefore mapped to items in the orderable concept dictionary for consistency.
- PACS – Picture Archiving and Communication System – used to exchange medical images over a network (X-rays, ultrasound etc.)
- PAT – Physician Administration tool
- PCP- Primary Care Provider
- PHR –Personal Health Record –owned and controlled by the patient
- PMS - Practice Management System
- RTI- Real Time Intervention
- ROI – Return on Investment
- RX+ – a module of Touchworks that allows clinical staff to manage their patients' medications, as well as provides tools for prescribing utilizing DUR checking and plan-specific formularies
- SIG – From the Latin “Signa”, meaning to write. This is a medical abbreviation used when writing prescriptions meant to mean “write the following instructions on the label”
- SSMT – Starter Set Migration Tool – this is a tool used to move items from test to live
- TW – Touchworks
- TWPM – Touchworks Practice Management
- VPN –Virtual Private Network
- VTB – Vertical Tool Bar – The tool Bar that runs up and down the screen, usually on the left hand side
- XML - Extensible Markup Language, a computer term.