Getting ready for Upgrade
Most clients that we have worked with are very excited to start working on their build and configuration. We have identified several tasks that can be started before your test-upgrade begins. Getting started on these tasks early is an excellent way to prepare for your initial configuration week.
- Assign Each Provider a Specialty - Some of the functionality in v11 is specialty driven so assigning each Provider a specialty will make configuration easier and improve the user experience.
- Education - Allscripts has recorded webcasts that show how to use and configure v11. There is a set of web-casts that are required pre-requisites for the Project Team Education Class that your team will need to attend prior to the Test Upgrade. There is an online Exam for each webcast. The location of the pre-requisite webcasts and the exams will be provided by the Allscripts training coordinator when you schedule your classroom training but the client team should also view the other available webcasts prior to the onsite visit. Allscripts Resources shows where to find V11 education material and other SA resources on the Allscripts Client KB
- Workflows - Workflows are an essential part of the testing plan for your V11 upgrade. Allscripts has "Certified Best Practice Workflows" that they support. If you already have your V10 workflows documented, then send them to your Upgrade Consultant. Review the V11 Certified Workflows available from your AM and identify any areas where your workflows are different than the certified workflows. Identify areas where staff will need to adjust their behavior to match the certified workflows.
- Workplace/Menus - review your current V10 Workplace and Menu structure and compare to some of the changes in V11. Refer to Allscripts Articles 2314 and 3210 available from your AM
- Security - review the current v10 security and how you have that set-up. There have been some changes to Security in V11. we highly recommend that you create your security structure based on user roles. Review the changes to security and determine how you would like to assign security to end users. For more information you can go to the Galen Wiki Articles: Assign Security Classifications to Organization Roles, Security Gates, List of V11 Only Security Gates
- Site Location/Patient Status - V11 includes a feature that allows you to see (Patient in context) where that patient is and what their status is (ex. Exam Room One, Nurse Ready). In order to configure this feature you will need to identify the physical locations (room numbers, etc.) of where a patient could be. Request the managers from each site to provide site location information i.e. room numbers, etc... to begin the spreadsheet in preparation of building your test system. In addition, define the patient statuses that they will use. Galen Wiki Link: Creating Patient Location and Patient Status information
- Tasks - There are some new tasks in V11 and some v10 task are no longer used. Visit the article V11 Task Names and download the excel document to see the changes in task in the V10 to 11.1.7 upgrade. This document can also be used as a way to track your organization's tasking decisions. Review Allscripts article 3415 - to prepare for the new Tasks and to view how they are assigned (by user or by the system), Review the Galen Wiki: V11 Tasks and complete the Tasks Worksheet provided by your Galen Upgrade Consultant.
- Vitals - review current vitals panels and any customized panels in v10 and how you would like them to look in v11. Review the Galen Wiki article about Vitals configuration. Vitals Configuration
- Choose .NET Preferences - There are many new preferences in V11. Follow this link for instruction on how to choose and record these before your test upgrade.
- Specialty Favorites - In V11 you have the option of loading Allscripts delivered specialty favorites. If you choose to load these it reduces the search time when a provider is searching for an item that is not in their personal favorites list. Your Upgrade consultant will have a large zip file that they can email you of all the specialty favorites in Excel, so you can review them and decide if you want to load them into V11.
- System Environment Specification (SES) - The SES for the version of Enterprise EHR you will be taking is available from your AM or Saleforce and is usually provided by the AM in your introductory email along with the Upgrade Questionnaire and Bandwidth Assessment. Have your IT department review it to make sure all servers, workstations and devices in your environment meet the requirements in the SES.
- NPI Numbers - National Provider Identifiers are required for the 11.2 Upgrade. NPI numbers are one way Eligible Providers (EPs) will be identified in order to receive Stimulus Incentives and, therefore, are now required to meet Meaningful Use Standards. Collecting the NPI numbers is a task that can be completed prior to the OnSite and Configuration.
For detailed information on any of the above tasks, feel free to contact your Upgrade Consultant.