Each state has an immunization registry that allows providers to submit immunization records to be collected and complied in an electronic system. Submitting these immunizations to the registry fulfills meaningful use requirements and consolidates vaccinations into one record per patient. These registries are submitted to an IIS (Immunization Information System) that is managed by the government. The government uses a HIPAA secure online application to assure accuracy and any provider registered can access patient charts. Children before the age of 2 will often see multiple providers who are all giving immunizations; thus, the registry allows those providers registered, who have never seen the patient before, to access the patient’s immunization chart. The immunization registry can also print immunization records for parents and patients to give proper documentation for schools, camps, sports teams, etc.
Advantages of Immunization Registries:
1. contributes knowledge in health surveillance, status, and technology 2. complies with federal, state, and local laws 3. identifies populations at risk 4. saves money by ensuring that each individual only gets the immunizations they need 5. sends alerts and reminders to patients needing an immunization based on the immunization schedule 6. won’t lose records (such as the situation that occurred with Katrina)
The immunization registry was previously a cost-based interface for Allscripts end users. It is now a part of the stimulus set and will not have any additional costs associated with sending data to the state registry. Those organizations who are not taking the Stimulus Set still may have costs associated with the interface they choose to send their immunization data across.
Typical HL7 Data Sent to Registry
HL7 VXU (Unsolicited Vaccination Record Update) messages are used to transmit immunizations from one system to another. They typically contain the following:
- Patient information: MRN, LastName, FirstName, DOB, SSN, OrgID
- Provider information: Code, LastName, FirstName
- Administration information: DateTime, Code, Amount, Lot#, Manufacturer name
- Route Information: Route, Site
A full specification can be found here: