Patient Matching Criteria
Patient Matching Criteria
The TouchWorks interface uses specific criteria in order to complete a patient match. This article explains the necessary requirements and is valid as of TouchWorks v11.1. The standard criteria is available in all versions of TouchWorks. In v11.1 there are new, "extended" matching criteria, which are optional and must be setup in your interface(s). Please see the "Extended Matching Criteria" below for more information.
In order to match properly, TouchWorks relies on the Last name, First name and two of the following three items: MRN, DOB, SSN. A more detailed description is shown below.
This element is required and TouchWorks uses the first 5 letters of the last name for matching purposes.
This element is required and TouchWorks uses the first 3 letters of the first name for matching purposes.
Medical Record Number
Also known as the MRN, this field is optional, but two of the three optional fields must be present to match. See Matching Scenarios below.
Date of Birth
Also known as DOB, this field is optional, but two of the three optional fields must be present to match. See Matching Scenarios below.
Social Security Number
Also known as SSN, this field is optional, but two of the three optional fields must be present to match. See Matching Scenarios below.
- Test #0.1: XID Matching
- Test #0.2: MRN and Org - File Patient Only
- Test #1: Name, MRN, DOB and Org
- Test #2: Name, MRN, SSN and Org
- Test #3: Name, DOB, SSN
- Test #4: Name, DOB, Insurance / PBM Match
In shared multi-org environments where there can be multiple practice management systems, the MRN may not be available as matching criteria because the patient could exist in mulitple orgs with different MRN's. This becomes a problem if SSN is not available. Some patients refuse to give out their SSN at registration, and some PM systems only store the last 4 digits. The use of an Empi can solve this problem by linking a patient that exists in multiple systems to a single MRN which becomes the primary identifier in the EHR.
Extended Matching Criteria and Scenarios
This extended matching was added in TouchWorks v11.1. There are six new optional Tests/Scenarios for matching. These require additional setup in each interface that plans to utilize the new matching.
- Test #5: Name, DOB, Driver License
- Test #6: Name, DOB, Phone Number
- This is Home Phone in File Patient, and the specified Phone in other File routines
- Test #7: Name, DOB, Address Line 1
- Test #8: Name, DOB, Mothers Maiden Name
- Test #9: Full Name (all characters of first and last names), DOB, Sex
- Getting in to matches of last resort - use with caution
- Test #10: Full Name (all characters of first and last names), DOB
- Last resort - use with caution
Patient Matching Logic Spreadsheet
Here is another representation of the information in this Wiki article. Patient Matching in TouchWorks is often times confusing and the hope is a different view into the logic may help make it more clear.