V10 Note Strategy
General Strategy for building and implementing Structured Notes:
1. Start with limited notes. Like just a single Chief Complaint progress note.
2. Get user acclimated to the workspace and tools associated with the Note.
3. Keep note sections limited. Subjective, Objective, Assessment, and Plan.
4. Users will ask for new things but make sure as little overlap or redundancy as much as possible.
Ex. Pick either Chief Complaint, Reason for Visit, or Subjective. Do not allow all three.
5. When building notes, consider the impact of the long term, not just the short term desire of the user.
6. Every note created increases the amount of support and training that goes into the EMR.
7. Avoid making structured notes for individual users if possible. Focus on specialty centered notes.
8. Physicians often don't agree with each other on what the structured note should have, so it is important to engage the specialty's champions and have them, and their colleagues, invested fully in the note creation process. Ultimately, if the providers are not invested in the notes, the note's value and clinical accuracy diminishes.
Keep it simple. Invest your users into the process. Plan for long term.