V11.2 Preparing for the Upgrade
Most clients that we have worked with are very excited to start working on their build and configuration. We have identified several tasks that can be started before your test-upgrade begins. Getting started on these tasks early is an excellent way to prepare for your initial configuration week.
Allscripts has recorded webcasts that show how to use and configure v11.2. These webcasts will go over technical requirements, the upgrade process, functionality of the Stimulus Set, and education material. The location of the pre-requisite webcasts can be found on the Allscripts Meaningful Use Webinar Series page. The client team should also view the other available webcasts and documentation prior to the onsite visit. Allscripts Resources show where to find V11.2 education material and other System administrator resources on the Allscripts Client KB.
Workflows are an essential part of the testing plan for your V11 upgrade. Allscripts has "Certified Best Practice Workflows" that they support. If you already have your V11.1.7 workflows documented, then send them to your Upgrade Consultant. Review the V11.2 Certified Workflows and identify any areas where your workflows are different than the certified workflows. Also identify areas where staff will need to adjust their behavior to match the certified workflows.
Review the current V11.1.7 security and how you have that configured. There have been some changes to Security in V11.2. Per Allscripts, we highly recommend that you create your security structure based on user roles. Review the changes to security and determine how you would like to assign security to end users. For more information you can go to the Galen Wiki Articles: 11.2 Assign Security Codes to Security Gates, 11.2 Add or adjust Security Classifications, and 11.2 Assign Security Codes and Users to Classifications List of V11 Only Security Gates
There are some new tasks in V11.2 and some v11.1.7 tasks are no longer used. Review the Galen Wiki: 11.2 Incorporate new 11.2 Tasks as well as V11 Task Names for a complete list of V10 and 11.1.7 tasks. Complete the Tasks Worksheet provided by your Galen Upgrade Consultant.
Review current vitals panels and any customized panels in 11.1.7 and how you would like them to look in 11.2. Review the Galen Wiki article about Vitals configuration. Vitals Configuration
There are two changes that need to be made if your Vital Panels Apply:
- If any of your vitals include Smoking you will need to remove this and make it an active problem in V10 or V11 note (whichever you are on now), because it will not be reported for Meaningful Use from Vitals. Review your vital panels and check if any Vital Panels in your current system report Smoking.
- Modify any panels that are not currently using the enforced orderable and resultable items for weight, height, and blood pressure as this will only be accepted for meeting Meaningful Use Standards.
- Choose .NET Preferences – There are a few changes in the .NET Preferences in the new 11.2 application. Review your existing 11.1.7 .NET Preferences. Look at the new .NET Preferences and start making decisions on how you will want these set. Document these decisions for both the Onsite visit and Go-Live.
- Follow this link for instruction on how to choose and record these before your test upgrade
- .NET Preferences Removed in 11.2
- System Environment Specification (SES) - The SES for the version of Enterprise EHR you will be taking is available from your AM or Saleforce and is usually provided by the AM in your introductory email along with the Upgrade Questionnaire and Bandwidth Assessment. Have your IT department review it to make sure all servers, workstations and devices in your environment meet the requirements in the SES.
- NPI Numbers - National Provider Identifiers are required for the 11.2 Upgrade. NPI numbers are one way Eligible Providers (EPs) will be identified in order to receive Stimulus Incentives and, therefore, are now required to meet Meaningful Use Standards. For more information on entering NPI numbers, refer to the following link. 11.2 Update User/Provider Detail