V11 - Partial Patient Updates
In v11, "Partial Patient Updates" are introduced. The idea is that you can allow any patient updates to only update information that is provided - blanks will not overwrite previously entered values.
For clients, contact your v11 Upgrade Project Manager and Interface Analyst. The PM and IA can work together to get this change implemented. The effort to implement and test this may not be included in your standard upgrade costs, so please make sure to check with the PM on this.
For interface analysts, you will need to populate the @AllowPartialUpdateFLAG with a value of 'Y' for the affected interface(s). These changes should be documented in the Upgrade Interfaces spreadsheet.
1) Choose a patient that has information that may not always be sent. Ensure that the field you choose is currently filled in.
a) If you have a multi-org environment, this could be information that isn't sent by all registration interfaces, such as insurance or emergency contact information.
2) Update their registration in your PMS, removing the field(s) you identified in Step 1, and updating another field.
3) Confirm that the removed field's information continues to show, and the updated field is updated.
At ABC MSO, we have two practices that use two different Practice Management Systems in a multi-org, shared environment. We know that Practice A does not have a field for emergency contact, but Practice B does. Once our v11 Interface Analyst has made the changes to allow partial updates...
1) We look up patient that is in both Practice A and B, called Mickey Mouse. Mickey Mouse has an Emergency Contact of Minnie Mouse, phone: 407-555-1212, and his address is 3111 World Dr, Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830.
2) We go into Practice A and update Mickey's record. We change his address to 1 World Dr in the same city. Since this is Practice A, there will be no Emergency Contact info sent.
3) We look up Mickey again (switch to another patient, then switch back). We confirm that his new address is 1 World Dr, and his emergency contact of Minnie remains. The partial update worked!